Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Brunch: Giant Toast

Mabuhay!

Who is familiar with kaya toast? Raise your legs...

According to Wikipedia, kaya toast is a popular snack amongst Singaporeans and Malaysians. It consists of kaya, a spread of eggs, sugar, and coconut milk with flavored with pandan on toasted or fresh bread or cream crackers. Butter or margarine may be spread as well.

A new Singaporean kopitiam (coffee shop) has opened in Makati and it serves the popular kaya toast and more!

Three words: Cute breakfast joint

"Toast" is one of my daughter's favorite words. Don't ask why, let me just say that she collects toasted bread stuffed toys. So when we were shopping at Greenbelt 5 and saw "Toast Box", we just knew we had to try the place!
It's self-service at Toast Box
The popular pouring of the tea to make milk tea

Aryanna's order:

Thick Toast with Chocolate Set
One of Toast Box' signature dishes is their Thick Toast (2.5cm thick slice bread) topped with chocolate spread.
Aryanna's verdict: "Heavenly goodness. The toast was perfect! Just the right crunch on the inside and buttery soft inside."

Iced coffee
Aryanna's verdict: "I don't like drinking coffee that much but Toast Box's iced coffee is an exception."

My order:

Soft boiled egg set with hot milk tea
The perfect soft boiled eggs!

Aryanna and I shared :

Laksa noodles
I was skeptical the first time I heard about laksa noodle for breakfast. I thought that the flavors would be too intense for an early morning chow. I ordered it anyway just to try it. The flavor was light and the noodles were cooked aldente—I can understand how this could work for brunch.

Pork floss sandwich
Toast Box is from the Bread Talk family that popularized the pork floss buns. I'm familiar with this sandwich but next time I order this, hold the cucumbers!

Toast Box sells kaya with honey spread by the jar. You can make your own kaya toast at home!


Toast Box is located at TriNoma Mall and at the 3rd Level Greenbelt 5, Ayala Center, Makati City
Tel. No. 09175091272
Open Monday to Thursday, 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.; Friday to Saturday, 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.; Sunday, 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.



Shoppingero/shoppingera, have you tried any Singaporean dishes?

8 comments:

Martine said...

Good to know there's a Toast Box in Makati now. We're "suki" at the TriNoMa branch because we live in QC. I love TB because it's familiar to me, having grown up in Singapore. :)

I love TB's iced milk tea! I usually get it to go so I can do the groceries with it in tow. :)

Anonymous said...

My family lives here in Malaysia for 5 years already. Kaya toast is a very popular breakfast here perfect with tea tarik (milk tea). I love Laksa too, especially the one with thick coconut cream sauce. Kaya toast is very cheap here, it sells for only RM2/Php28 (4 triangular sandwiches already).

upto6only said...

oh my i'm raising my hand i love kaya toast. i'll try to drop by there too and taste their food. and good they sell honey spread.

ako si C (i am C) said...

i missed trying this during my last trip to SG and heartfully regrets it.

so seeing that there's a toast box branch in manila made me really really giddy! hooray! :3

MalDeeTuh said...

hi jenni! yes, Toast Box is my fave coffee shop in Singapore. Beats Starbucks anytime especially the prices. Singaporean dishes? HoKien Mee noodles, i love it!

Ethel Jane Alcala said...

This is so yummy. :) I wish I could go there someday. :|||

Karren Cruz said...

love toast!

Anonymous said...

yey! so happy it's now in makati. there's always pila when we try to eat there in singapore. =) i love kaya toast except that i have to scrape off some of the very sinful slab of butter every time. btw, there's another singaporean resto in megamall that serves VERY good kaya toast and kopi, it's called orchard road. located near mango and forever 21 =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...