Sunday, May 1, 2011

Guest Blogger: Aryanna Epperson

Mabuhay!

Hiya, everyone! Aryanna here.

Let me start by saying that my mom had no hand on this particular blog. This is all me! Muwahahaha!

Mother's Day is one of my favorite events because it's a day where I can make my mom feel extra special. She's such a good, loving, supportive, and caring mom to Dylan and me that I want to reciprocate her love by making Mother's Day super special! It's also great way to bond with her, most especially because I look forward to having our usual "tea time." Every year, I'm in charge of making everything as delightful as possible for my mom (one rule: DO. NOT. UPSET. THE MOMSTER!) I get her flowers, make her breakfast, and cater to her "needs." (Don't even get me started on this one >_>)

Last year's scenario:
 
Me: *in my room*
Mom: *in the living room, playing with Dylan* ARYANNAAAA!
Me: Yeeeees?
Mom: Can you hand me the remote please?
Me: It's not here in my room...
Mom: *remote is right beside her*
Me: Mom... *goes to the living room* *hands her the remote*
Mom: Thanks, sweetheart.
Me: *goes back to room*
Mom: ARYANNNAAAAA
Me: Yeeesss?
Mom: Get me water please.
Me: *gets water*
Mom: Thanks!
Me: *goes back to room, but waits by the door*
Mom: ARYAAA-
Me: Get you a pillow, right? And more ice? And would you like a foot massage to go with that?
Mom: You know me well, Aryanna. Thanks.
Me: *sighs* You're so lucky it's Mother's Day today.
Mom: Hey, you still have to do this even when it's not Mother's Day. *death stare*
Me: *gulps* Love you, Mom!
Mom: Love you too!

This Mother's Day, I decided to make my mom a cake that would nicely accompany our tea. I call it the "Sun Cake."

Sun Cake

"Even though the sun is gone, I still have a light, and that light is my mother." Aryanna Epperson

You could say that this cake is "healthy" because I made sure to use fruits in this recipe. I think we kids should also be encouraging our parents to eat better (this shouldn't be my responsibility, but someone's gotta do it. >_>;) by including fruits in their diet, especially because my mom doesn't like fruits. We want to make sure our parents live a long, healthy life, and so I think this is the perfect Mother's Day dessert.

Ingredients:

• 5 tbsp unsalted butter (GOOD)
• 1/2 cup sugar (GOOD)
• 2 eggs
• 3/4 cup flour
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 1 apple (green apples work best)
• 2 tsp cinnamon
• cooking oil to grease the pan
• confectioners sugar (GOOD)
• whipping cream [optional but advised (believe me, it's super good)] (OMG, GOOD!)

My inspiration: "Kitchen Princess" by Natsumi Ando

Easy peasy:

1. Leave the butter (YUM) out to soften. When soft, put it in a bowl with the sugar (GOOD) and stir.
2. Break the eggs into a separate bowl and add them to the mixture from step 1.
3. Sift the flour, baking powder, and cinnamon and add it to the mixture and stir.
4. Cut the apple into 8 pieces. Peel off the skin and take out the core.
5. Grease your baking pan (a round one preferably, hence the name "sun cake") with cooking oil and pour in the mixture.
6. Flatten the surface and lay out the apples (on the sides as the "rays" of the sun) and place the lemon (as the "sun") on the center.
7. Place your pan in a preheated oven set at 350º F and bake for 25-30 minutes depending on how deep your pan is. You will know when it's done when the top is a crisp, light golden brown.
8. Serve warm, sprinkled with powdered sugar (GOOD) on top and a big dollop of lemon-flavored whipped cream (just add a half tbsp of lemon juice to the cream) and enjoy! :D

The lemon in the middle is the "sun"...
The sliced green apples are the "rays" of the sun
Sifted confectioner sugar as toppings make any homemade cake look gourmet!
Ask my mom how light, delicious, and soft this cake is. She loved it so much, she asked me to put more apples for the next time I bake it. Success!
For my dear mamá!
Thank you yaya for taking my photo! As mom would say, "nakachamba ka"! >.<
Trivia: The portrait of my mom behind me was a birthday gift from my dad six years ago. It's by artist Louie Cordero. Good job, dad!

Advance Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there!
Hope you'll try to bake my recipe and share it with your family!

I'm tired from baking and blogging. I don't know how my mom does it everyday. You're awesome mom!

Love,
Aryanna


Shoppingero/shoppingera, (mom, feel free to write a question here. I'm tired.)

Follow my mom on Twitter!

13 comments:

upto6only said...

how sweet of your daughter. I'll try this with my son :) Thanks Aryanna for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I can only wish my little girls will do the same for me when they're older. Aryanna, I'm so sure your parents are ultra-proud of you! :-)

ceemee said...

Aryanna, you're so sweet and talented.

Anonymous said...

Awww Aryanna's SUPER DUPER SWEET! E yun I was teary eyed & laughing at the same time while reading this?! Me already! ;) Sorry, pero kayo na talaga ang mother-daughter tandem peg ko for me & my 1 year old babe (when she grows up). Thanks for the early greeting to all moms who read your mom's blog Aryannaaaaa! :)

Anonymous said...

PLEASE START YOUR OWN BLOG. :D

Whatever happened to ichigo and buko? :(

Janice Sheilah said...

Such a pretty girl ---inside and out. how refreshing!

akasha said...

you're soooo sweet :) it's funny how us, daughters, tend to complain before, during and after doing something for our moms, when in fact we actually love doing it for them!

Mai said...

That is so sweet of you. :)

dreaming state said...

hurrah

Jill Bantang said...

Sweet! Not only your daughter, but the recipe itself. It looks so YUMMY! :)

Mom-Friday said...

You're such a darling daughter!!!
Wish my girl would do the same for me when she grows to be your age! :))) Jenni did an amazing 'job' raising you.

Mom-Friday said...

You're such a darling daughter!!!
Wish my girl would do the same for me when she grows to be your age! :))) Jenni did an amazing 'job' raising you.

Abigail said...

so sweet! my daughter and I just started baking "together" (she's 3 and loves the mixing and tasting part) , sana she does the same for me when she gets older:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...