Monday, March 21, 2011

The Mark of a True Champ

Mabuhay!

Friend: "Ano ba ang connection mo kay Manny Pacquaio at ang dami mong scoop about him? In fact, I read your blog and tweets to get updates about Pacman more than CNN!" *LOL*
Me: "I've met Manny Pacquiao a few times but I don't think he remembers me. He knows Tom as my husband shot Manny's iconic Nike ads."
Friend: "So what? Do you pay someone to get you info about Manny?"
Me: " Kaloka ka! I get first hand info about the champ because of Lounell Correa."
Friend: Aaaaah... OK... Who's Lounell?"
Me: *LOL* "Lounell is my best friend of fifteen years."

Lounell's late father Polding Correa was the one who discovered Manny Pacquiao. Pacman was one of the boxers that were sent to Lounell's dad to train. While training, Manny would also work part-time at the Correa's construction sites to earn extra cash. Then the rest is what they say was "history".

Lounell shared with me that Manny values loyalty and is always grateful for all of what the Correa family has done for him since he started out. That's why whenever Pacman has a fight, he would personally reserve seats for Lounell and his family. They are also invited to the Pacquiao's parties and intimate gatherings. In other words, close sila. Leveling!;D

So close that @CongMP (Manny's official Twitter account) follows my friend @Lounell! Hello, ka-level lang naman ni Lounell sina Pres. Barrack Obama, Shakira, Jeremy Piven, and the Boston Celtics — people that Manny follows on Twitter.

So ladies, gentlemen, and gheys, without further ado, I bring you Lounell, reporting on the latest on Manny Pacquiao!

Pasok, Lounell!


Hi Jen!

Just got back from Baguio where I visited my friend, Manny Pacquiao, who is training there for his coming fight against Sugar Shane Mosley on May 7.

And as you always say, sharing is caring….

MP being prepped up by strength conditioning coach Alex Ariza

As usual, Manny was surrounded by an entourage: his training crew, Team MP, hoards of fans, plus there were two camera crews filming Manny while training: CBS Project 360 TV Documentary Special group (the show will be shown for four consecutive weekends in April on US TV to hype up the Pacquiao-Mosley fight) and a documentary film crew led by Academy Award Winner Leon Gast (he shot the When We Were Kings documentary of the 1974 championship bout of Muhammad Ali and George Foreman).

I had the opportunity to watch and take pictures of Manny while in training.  Salamat, pare!

MP doing the mitts with coach Freddie Roach.
MP hitting the double end bag while joking around with the crew.
MP jumping rope to finish off his routine.

After training, he went up to the room to rest. After a few hours, he was all ready to hit the town!  His first stop: Starbucks in SM Baguio — it has become his usual night cap haunt this week.

MP checking out the goodies at Starbucks.
Being an international celebrity like Manny, one can assume that he would want special treatments wherever he goes, but not the champ. When we went in the coffee shop, he immediately lined up and waited for him to get served like everyone else. Very classy.
Here's the Champ ordering his favorite green tea latte...
...and even paid at the cashier himself.
We stayed in Starbucks for a while and had a good talk over his favorite drink (green tea latte!). He also showed me his Twitter page on his phone. Yes, @CongMP is Manny Pacquiao's official Twitter account. I know for a fact that he tries to read all his followers' tweets…so follow @CongMP!
Intense talaga si Manny in every aspect of his life, mapa-boxing, his family, fans, and Twitter! Nakatuwa s'ya!

Funny story, when I got back to my hotel, I was tinkering with my twitter account and accidentally blocked Manny! Like, who blocks a world champ?!? LOL

The day after in the gym, when he saw me again, he laughed and said in front of everyone "blinock mo naman ako eh!" Haha! Kwele talaga si Manny! Everything's good now, he's following me again. LOL

The second day of my visit, he did pretty much the same thing at the gym. 


After training at the gym, he rested for a bit then he went down and played ball with his OWN basketball team. Why not?

Manny's new hobby is playing basketball. He loves it so much, he put together his own team!
Point guard Pacman!

Can you guess where the champ went after the game? Yup, Starbucks again to cap the night. Haha!

There you go! I just want to say that my family and I are proud of Manny's achievements, but my dad (rest his soul) was more proud of Manny's down-to-earth attitude and his generosity to his family, friends, and those who are in need.

Mabuhay ka, Manny Pacquaio!

Lounell... Signing out.

Thank you, Lounell! Hindi na kita ma-reach! Haha!

Everyone, follow Manny Pacquiao on Twitter.com/CongMP ! And to get updates on Manny, follow my friend Lounell on Twitter.com/Lounell !



Shoppingero/shoppingera, what are the chances on Manny Pacquiao following me on Twitter? *wink, wink*


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Totoo ito. haha Last fight ni pacman, nakaabang ako sa website mo ms.jenni (the one at multiply pa) for behind the scene photos and lurlur ako dun sa boots ni jinky. K.O. level. i love it. Thanks for sharing!

I also value loyalty among so many things. :) I think, it's a bold statement of character.

Happy week!

domestic {cherry} said...

i have more respect for Manny because of this post. thanks for sharing=)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...