Saturday, January 29, 2011

Brunch: Shakshooka ala Jenni

Mabuhay!

Have you heard of or tried shakshooka?

Traditional shakshooka looks like this.

Shakshooka or shakshouka is a dish consisting of eggs cooked in a tomato sauce sometimes with peppers, onions, and spices (often including cumin, turmeric, and chillies), and usually served with white bread. The name shakshouka in Tamazight means “a mixture”.

I love this dish! It took me a while to "perfect" it to my liking, but I finally had a breakthrough last Friday! The secret was to use dried basil leaves instead of fresh ones. The traditional recipe also calls for turmeric and cumin, I prefer the sauce without them.

Shakshooka is a healthy alternative to Eggs Benedict and it's the perfect hangover dish too!

Shakshooka ala Jenni is with crispy fried eggs instead of poached eggs in the tomato sauce.
Whatchunid:

EVOO
1 tsp. Moscovado sugar
Himalayan pink salt
Freshly ground pepper
Dried basil

3 fresh tomatoes; 3 whole, peeled tomatoes (canned); 1 tbsp. tomato paste
Eggs
1-2 cloves of garlic
Your favorite hot sauce
Wheat bread. I recommend French Baker's Whole Wheat Bread

Easy peasy:

Step 1: Sauté garlic in  2tbsp. of EVOO
Step 2: Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, hot sauce, dried basil, Moscovado sugar,  salt, and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil then simmer in low heat for 5 to 8 mins.
I used the tamagoyaki pan I bought in Muji to cook the fried eggs!
Step 3: Fry the eggs in 1 tbsp. of EVOO.
Rectangular crispy fried eggs have become my signature dish at home! Kyoot, di ba?
Tip: I cook the the egg in medium to high heat to crisp the eggs.
Step 4: Serve with a smile!:D
I basically massacred the eggs and scooped them with bread.
The perfect Sunday goo!


Shoppingero/shoppingera, what's your favorite Sunday goo?


13 comments:

mitch_casas said...

for me, shawarma rice. :)

Unknown said...

where did you buy that hot sauce? i love the name! haha! i wanna buy 1 for my hubby and his dad. :)

Jenni Epperson said...

Hi Terence!

I got the Insanity hot sauce in New York during my vacation. I'm not sure if it's available here.

Mom-Friday said...

gotta try this new breakfast dish!
and i also want your square pan!!! hope i can afford it ;)

Anonymous said...

I love tomatoes and basil. Then malasadong itlog and wheat bread! Heavenly Sunday, ain't it! I'd tweak that up with Hungarian sausages though <------- carnivore lol

Jenni Epperson said...

@Mom-Friday you can also buy the tamagoyaki pan at Gourdo's Greenbelt (near Sugi), it's exactly like the one in Muji but cheaper.

Lacar said...

I tried the recipe and it was SOOOOOOOO delicious. And healthy! I cooked the eggs inside the tomato stew. Thanks for sharing this recipe. :-)

Jenni Epperson said...

Lacarrrrrrr! So glad you loved it! It's really a healthy breakfast!

Tune in for more recipes!<3

yowhan said...

looks masarap!^^
will try this recipe soon!nice one Jenni..:)

Kutitap said...

Ang cute ng presentation, especially yung photo sa step 4. Looks like a naughty litol kiddo's face smiling back at me... Sabi ng nanay ko, how the food is presented and served reflects the personality of the one who prepared it. =)

Pauline said...

I LOVE THE RECTANGULAR EGGS! A different way to see those eggs and a different way to eat it as well! Sorry, I'm an egg fan! And maybe I can bow down to your cooking prowess. :)

Frrranchesca said...

I love this! Will definitely make this for my Dad. For him, eggs at breakfast is a must. But I'll skip the frying part, since we need to watch his fat intake. :)

If you want, you could soft-boil the eggs. I'm a fan of poach eggs but I can't seem to get the hang of it. My soft-boiled eggs are just like poach ones, sans the hassle! :D

Boil the water first. When it's boiling already, put in the egg. Leave it there for EXACTLY 4 minutes, then take it out. Let it cool for a bit just so you can peel the shell. The whites will be soft and firm, but the yolk will be deliciously runny! My perfect goo. :)

Enjoy! :D

Phoebe On A High said...

Fave Sunday or anyday goo: pan-roasted salmon belly with thyme and salt rub. Guiltless pleasure because of the healthy fish oil :D Serve with wheat bread or steamed rice!

I'm gonna try shakshooka too!

~Tracy
www.phoebeonahigh.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...