Saturday, January 22, 2011

Meal Makeover: Glazed beef and veggie meatloaf

Mabuhay!

'Meal Makeover' is a new category on my blog. It's all about recipes that I tweaked to allow my family and I to enjoy the same food we are used to, but with healthier and natural ingredients. I'm going to share with you some of my favorite recipes with a healthy makeover by adding vegetables, fruits, whole grains, healthy oils and more.

If there's one 'Meal Makeover' dish that you can cook for your family that they would love (even picky eaters), this recipe is the one! It's one of the easiest meals to cook! All you have to do is to "DUMP, MIX, MOLD, and BAKE"! The beauty about making this beef and veggie meatloaf is that it's the same recipe you can use to make hamburgers, meatballs, and bolognese sauce for pasta (you just have to add tomato sauce.)

Glazed beef and veggie meatloaf


Ratings:
Taste: 5
Level of easiness: 5
Impress the guest factor: 5

Watchunid:

500 grams lean ground sirloin. I buy the Aussie lean ground sirloin from Rustan's grocery.


Clockwise:
1 carrot, finely chopped
1 big bell pepper, finely chopped
1 1/2 tbsp. Himalayan pink salt, available at Saturday Salcedo Market
1 tbsp organic tamari sauce (low-sodium soy sauce), Healthy Options
1 Organic egg (you can use just the egg white if you like)
1/2 tbsp pepper
1/4 cup milk (milk adds a rich texture and juiciness to the ground beef)
1/2 cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs, Healthy Options (you can make your own using day-old wheat bread, toasted and grounded)
2 tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil (not in photo)
1 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)

For the glaze:



3 tbsp. Heinz No Salt Tomato Ketchup (you cannot use banana ketchup for this recipe)
2 tbsp. Bragg organic apple cider vinegar (available at Healthy Options, the Landmark, and Rustan's groceries). This could be optional, but personally, I find that it adds sweetness and texture to the glaze. Not vinegary at all. You must try it!

Easy peasy:

Step 1: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. DUMP all the ingredients (including 2tbsp. of EVOO) in a mixing bowl
Step 2: MIX in all the ingredients.
Tip: Grease the pan with EVOO
Step 3: MOLD the meatloaf in a meatloaf pan or an aluminum pan. Pack the beef and veggie mixture well.
Step 4: BAKE the mixture in the oven at 400 degrees for 45-50 mins.
Important! Set your alarm to 30 mins. because you need to add the glaze before it cooks.


Step 5: In a separate bowl, mix the tomato catsup and apple cider vinegar
Step 6: 10-15 mins before it cooks, take the meatloaf out of the oven and add the glaze mixture. Spread generously. Put it back in the oven and let it cook for 10-15 mins. or until the glaze browns.
It should look like this. Let meatloaf rest 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Tip: Pour out the oil from the pan.

Step 7: Serve with a smile!:D

I usually make two batches of this and cook it throughout the week because it's easy. It's also one of the best lunchbox treats because you can eat it hot or cold. The glaze is really what makes this meatloaf special. 

Happy cooking!

Shoppingero/shoppingera, would you try this recipe?



10 comments:

babyjourney said...

Thank for this! I have been following your blog and I'm especially excited whenever you post healthy recipes :) I will definitely try this! :)

Unknown said...

Looks good, but since I don't eat meat I still prefer a good vegan lentil loaf.

Lora Not Laura said...

I will try this!
thanks for sharing..

ooppss where to buy Bragg organic apple cider vinegar??

Jenni Epperson said...

Hi freetiLORA!

You can buy Braggs apple cider vinegar at healthy Options, The Landmark grocery, and Rustan's grocery.

Lora Not Laura said...

Thanks!
Maybe I should really start shopping at Healthy Options..
:D

plengxvi said...

Looks delicious and easy! Perfect for beginners like me. :) Thank you for this "healthy option" Looking forward to more posts like this.

whitedaffodil said...

I tried this recipe last night, it was so easy to make! Super delish!Thanks for the recipe,Jenni :)

joyskidooper said...

I love meat loaf! It's very easy to make.... I had copied your healthy recipe for my use! Thank you very much!

mikenbecca said...

Ms. Jenni, I just made this and it was so good, thanks po!!! Anyway I was gonna make your corned tuna recipe as well but I couldn't find it here in the states :-(... I don't wanna use other brand baka ma galit si Piolo at KC... haha just kidding!!!

Take care po and God bless.

Wisconsin Responsible Beverage Server said...

Wow that's a really yummy looking corned tuna makeover! I definitely didn't think of it! But this is really genius! A new way of enjoying corned tuna! Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...