Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Healthy eats: Lemon and spinach couscous

Mabuhay!

I would like to thank my TRX trainer, Reema Chanco and her boyfriend Erik Walde (of Wingman,) for reminding me about couscous. They invited me over for lunch last week and Erik cooked pork tenderloin with flavored couscous. It was delish! I now have a yummy and healthy alternative to brown rice!

If you're part of the kanin club (read: cannot live without eating rice), couscous is a healthier alternative to white rice. Also, it cooks way faster (only 10 mins. including prep time) than white or brown rice, ergo, less use of gas/electricity.

Here's another healthy recipe that both you and your children can pack for lunch. Aryanna loves the kyoot bits!

Spinach and lemon couscous



Watchunid:

Couscous, spinach (frozen or fresh), lemon, EVOO (extra virgin olive oil), water or chicken stock, salt (optional)

Easy peasy:

Step 1: Boil 3 cups of water and add 1 tbsp. of EVOO and 1 tsp. salt (optional)
Tip: Best to check the box/can for proper directions. For more flavor (but added calories), you can also use chicken stock instead of water. Vegetarians can use vegetable stock.
Step 2: Add couscous and spinach
Step 3: Remove from heat, cover, and let it stand for 5 mins.
Tip: If you are using frozen spinach, on a separate pan, boil the frozen spinach until it's thawed out. Squeeze all the water then finely chop using a knife. If you're using fresh spinach, steam the leaves first to cook.
Step 4: Fluff couscous using a fork
Step 5: Squeeze lemon juice and serve with a smile!:D
Tip: For portion control, mold the couscous (don't pack it tight) using a small bowl.
This goes well with grilled pork tenderloin, steamed fish, or steak.

You can buy flavored couscous, but the sodium content is higher compared to making your own flavored couscous. Also, you can add carrots, green peppers or wild mushroom to your couscous; the key is to chop the veggies finely to keep the texture delicate.

You can buy couscous at leading groceries and health food stores.


Shoppingero/shoppingera, what healthy food have you been eating lately?



10 comments:

raymie nonnette ben said...

my roomies and i swore we'd eat more greens this 2011. now we make sure that we always have the freshest ingredients for green salad.

Mom-Friday said...

uy, i'll try this, simple enough to make, and hope the kiddies can appreciate :)))

AVA TE-ZABAT♥ said...

I'm just starting to learn how to cook better food for my family and I really love this. I'll try it one of these days! thank you, ms. jenni :) I've tried Pesto scramble before :)

..:: superFoxy ::.. said...

Yipee! My much awaited healthy recipes! Speaking of which, I dreamt of you and Tim Yap last night! Funny dream! You two were like hosting a fashion and lifestyle show and you featured me! *i know, crazy!!!* And I showed you "my" version of healthy eats and recipes. Then I woke up, only to find out that those were not my recipe. It was actually yours, kasi mga images from your blog yung demo cooking ko! Haha,I was reading your Multiply and Blogger kasi before ako natulog. Ayan! It was fun dream! Very vivid! Keep it coming, I'll dream of it again. Nice tandem of you and Tim Yap on that dream :)

Yowee said...

Hi Jenni,

I'd like to thank you for sharing with us your healthy recipes. Last year, I found myself gaining too much weight. I was horrified when people started telling me that I'm the same size as my Mom! I love my Mom to bits and she's not obese, but you know what I mean. ;) I'm always on the lookout for healthy recipes for weight-conscious but food-loving me and your blog is one of my inspirations to eat healthy which for me is a good start to lose weight. Please keep it up. :D

PS. I want that bikini body too!

God bless you and your family,
Yowee

Tin calilap said...

Hi Ms. Jenni! Thank you for another feel good recipe! Going to try this one soon! :) I commend you for being a fab example for us mothers who want to make better and healthy foods for our family! Keep it up! <3 -tin calilap

KT Nielsen said...

I buy my stash of couscous from Healthy options. I haven't tried adding the cut leaf spinach though. I think I will do this over the weekend before my scheduled run. Living healthy is a choice and I am glad a lot of people are already conscious about being one. Thank you Ms. Jenni for inspiring people to stay healthy by eating healthy and yeah saving too. :-)

I have been making my own healthy soup lately too. I like making my own because aside from cutting down on sodium, I get to choose the freshest ingredients too. I make a combination of sliced/julienned cabbage, celery, leeks, asparagus, bell pepper and carrots. I sometimes put ginger for an added complexity in flavor. I just season it with a dash of salt and pepper and my healthy soup is consumed in no time.

Just a little realization: I never thought celebrities like you still thinks of saving. :-) I was wrong. Again, thank you for the saving tip and the healthy tip. I have included you in my blogroll.

kat said...

I super ♥ your blog ms.J! Why? because your's is the only blog that features tasteful clothes and fashion updates. Fierce recipes na winner din sa plating! AND of course, the bonggang bonggang features on your family. F na F na F! Fashion,Food and Family! PS:Looking forward also to some Dylan sightings once in a while. Keep it up!And keep sharing those lovely gifts!*wink*

Anonymous said...

well, i'm still looking where can i buy those couscous!! ..lagi kong nariring yan sa Iron chef e..♥

Jenni Epperson said...

I buy couscous at Rustan's grocery or Healthy Options.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...